Naval propellers – high-performance solutions
Reliable systems tailored to tough demands
Characteristics of our naval propellers
Specialized navy specifications are crucial. Our customized propeller solutions can cater to higher cavitation inception speeds, possible shock impacts, and mission-critical conditions requiring additional redundancy, silent operation with minimal hydro-acoustic signatures, and suppressed underwater-radiated noise.
CPPs, FPPs and bolted adjustable
Our naval propeller portfolio – ranging from controllable pitch propellers (CPPs), fixed pitch monoblock propellers (FPPs), and FPPs with replaceable blades, to adjustable bolted designs with tailored blade configurations – offers excellent coverage of navies’ propulsive performance and reliability demands.
Nowadays a wide range of naval and patrol vessels are powered and propelled by MAN Alpha propeller and aft ship solutions – ranging from powerful combat frigates, flexible command support vessels, special minehunters, and ice-breaking offshore patrol vessels to robust shallow-draft coastal supply cutters.
Global approach – shafting and control systems
Optimization and shock excitation
The mechanical and hydrodynamic design optimization of propeller shaft strut arrangements is one example of a key parameter for aft ship elements. CFD calculations and model tests confirm that propeller performance and strut designs are closely interlinked.
Shock requirements can be considered in the design for which, as an example, our global approach goes all the way and includes the Alphatronic propulsion control system. Here, shock load tests are performed with certification for panels passing 10 G in 10 ms, cabinets 20 G, and sensors (pitch feedback, tacho) up to 320 G in 3.3 ms.
Your benefits on the right course
- Best propulsive performance: Cutting-edge hydrodynamic blade/hub/strut designs as the basis for top propulsion performance and versatility in diverse operating missions
- Fuel savings and reduced emission levels: High propulsive efficiency equals low fuel consumption and fewer exhaust gas emissions
- Reduced hydro-acoustics: Maximized propeller efficiency design – targeted with due respect to required mitigation of cavitation, pressure pulses, and noise
- Shock resistance: System solutions can be designed and documented to shock requirements and military standards – from propellers and shafting to propulsion controls
- Lowest total cost of ownership: Robust and reliable materials and components – designed with ample margins of strength, ensuring minimal consumptions, low wear rates, and a long and safe service life
OPV – arctic operation
For operation in ice, our CPPs and bolted FPPs can be delivered up to the highest polar ice classes. The CPP equipment propelling the Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘P571 Ejnar Mikkelsen’ is designed in line with ice class DNV/GL Ice 1A. The propulsion power is delivered by two MAN 8L27/38 engines with a twin-in/single-out gearbox configuration.
Explore our propeller solutions
MAN PrimeServ propeller maintenance concept
Our propeller maintenance concept (PMC) service packages for propeller maintenance are offered in connection with five- and/or ten-year inspections – in accordance with the docking periods recommended by the classification societies.
How you benefit
- Prompt delivery of high-demand spare parts within 24 hours
- Fast, reliable and competent customer support
- Individually tailored O&M contracts
- Ongoing training and qualification of operators and maintenance staff
- Global service, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Looking for a naval design propeller and aft ship solution?
Let us present what may be under the waterline – by tailoring the ideal solution for you. Get in touch today – and propel ahead.
Alphatronic 3000pdf, 1097 KB
Speed Pilotpdf, 1478 KB
MAN Alpha FPP replaceable bladespdf, 1292 KB
MAN Alpha FPP flanged hub/shaftpdf, 970 KB
EcoOptimizer for CPP systemspdf, 3725 KB
Alphatronic 3000pdf, 2193 KB
Alphatronic 3000pdf, 14022 KB
MAN Alpha EcoBulbspdf, 2836 KB
Marine engine programme 2021pdf, 17094 KB
Wednesday, February 10, 2021
Abeking & Rasmussen Order Complete MAN 175D Hybrid-Propulsion Packages for Indonesian Navy MinehuntersNaval order for versatile MAN 175D engine
Thursday, October 29, 2020Israel Shipyards chooses dual MAN 175D units for OPV-45 design